1. Tämä sivusto käyttää evästeitä. Jatkamalla tämän sivuston käyttöä, annat suostumuksesi evästeiden käytöllemme. Lue lisää.

Chepeat 3G(500kbps) flat rate and small portable "not locked" modem

Keskustelu osiossa 'Mobile Phones', aloittaja Bojan-Krkic, 19/8/07.

1. Bojan-Krkic

Tykkäykset:
    Hello,

I'm going to live in Finland (I will be mostly around Helsinki and Vantaa) untill the end of the year (I'm already here since several days) and I need a flat rate fast mobile Internet connection. So I need to know basically to things and I'm pretty sure that here I can find people with a good knowleadge about this topics (most likely you can help me more than many people at call centers and shops employees):

I want to know which 3G service you recommend me. I need a fast one and cheap. A woman at Kolumbus call center told me that Elisa offer 384kbps = 9€/month
    (flat rate without data limit) and also another one with around 500kbps for 15€/month. So I want to know if that is Ok, if I should take another option or provider.

I need to know also which technology is the one that has 500kbps cause I assume not all 3G devices are enough for that speed. Also it will be great if you know a reliable and "cheap" portable modem for that in order to use it anywhere with the laptop. I know that vodafone sell one of that (is also in Spain) but at the Elisa Shopping they told me that it's locked only for Elisa Shopping and I prefer to buy one that I can use also in Spain.

Kiitos

2. espenleka

espenleka Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Hi and welcome to Finland :)

I assume that you can get a postpaid sim card and that won't be any problem. In that case these are the cheapest flat rate options at the moment:

DNA (www.dnafinland.fi) :
    - 384 kbps - 9,80 € / month
    - 512 kbps - 14,80 € / month
    - 1024 kbps - 19,80 € / month

Saunalahti (www.saunalahti.fi) :
    - 384 kbps - 9,80 € / month
    - 512 kbps - 14,80 € / month
    - 1024 kbps - 19,80 € / month
    - 2048 kbps - 29,80 € / month

Elisa / Kolumbus (www.elisa.fi / www.kolumbus.com) :
    - 384 kbps - 9,90 € / month
    - 512 kbps - 14,90 € / month
    - 1024 kbps - 19,90 € / month
    - 2048 kbps - 29,90 € / month

In my opinion I would not recommend Elisa/Kolumbus at the moment, because they are still facing problems with their billing system update. And furthermore, I would advice you to check that the 3G/UMTS network coverage is available where you are going to stay, especially what kind of data transfer rates are available there. But I assume that in the Helsinki-Vantaa area the network data transfer rates are quite good already. And also it should be noted that Saunalahti uses same mobile network with Elisa/Kolumbus, DNA has its own network.

These flat rate options do not include (as far as I know) any kind of 3G/UMTS modem, so you may want to buy one separately. To see the price range, a good web page to look at is "MBnet Hintavertailu" (an online price comparison service): http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/h...tegoria=26257&alaraja=0&ylaraja=0&jarjestys=3. Unfortunately this web page like many others are only available in Finnish, but if you have more questions I'm sure we can help you on this forum. :)

I haven't used a data modem card myself, but hopefully someone who has more experience on them can help you more.

3. jake79 Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    Galaxy S4 Active ja DNA
    hmmm

If you want to buy postpaid-line, you have to have finnish socialsecuritynumber... I think

4. plehti Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    Saunalahti
    Saunalahti doesn't require Finnish socialsecurity number, but requires a guarantee for a customers who doesn't have a traceable credit history.

/ Panu.

5. JPW™ Vieras

Well that is not also a problem.

Registration of foreigners

The basic data on foreigners residing in Finland are entered in the Population Information System. Registered information includes name, date of birth, nationality, familial relationships and address. A Finnish municipality of residence is registered for a foreigner who has moved to Finland if he or she plans on staying here permanently and if he or she has a residence permit for at least one year. Citizens of Nordic countries do not need residence permits.
    Under the law, a foreigner is required to register the same information as Finnish citizens if he or she resides in Finland for at least one year. The registration takes place at the local register office. The registered information is used, amongst other things, in the organisation of elections, and for taxation, health care, juridical administration and statistical purposes.

How does the registration happen?
    1) Inform the local register office of your place of residence
    2) Bring your passport and valid residence permit with you.
    3) Other official documents you will need when registering are a marriage certificate if you are married and the birth certificates of any children you might have.
    4) Fill out and sign the Registration of Foreigners - registration form at the registry.
    5) Also remember to make an official change of address notification whenever you move. It is a requirement for registration.

We require that all official documents are notarised originals or translations by authorised translators.

6. Bojan-Krkic

Tykkäykset:
    So I should try with Saunalahti ?? There is no UMTS flat rate on any prepaid, isn't it? If so do you know if Saunalahti sells a UMTS modem like Elisa/Kolumbus does? Maybe the Vodafone (Huawei E220)?

By the way the woman who helped me at the Elisa call center told me that the 512k subscription need a modem with another technology while the 384k subscription do not. Do you know what technology could she mean?

Thanks a lot for your responses

7. Kotkis Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    IPhone 5S
    Yes, you can buy that modem from Saunalahti (price 120 eur or 5 eur/month), but if you do that, you commit yourself to use their services for 24 months. Also, I'm not sure, if the modem is SIM-locked - most probably it's not, but you might wanna check it out beforehand.
    That modem is capable of transfer rates up to 3.6Mbps (More info in finnish)

8. espenleka

Tykkäykset:
    I think this would be a good solutions, if he wants the data modem at a reasonable price. First pay the 120 € for the data modem, and then just use the flat rate as long as needed. When not needed anymore, just cancel the flat rate. After that there should not be any monthly fees to pay for, so one could just wait until the contracts finishes after 24 months. :)

I think Panu could advice us more, because "Datapaketti" flat rate option with the data modem seems to be a good choice in this case.

9. Kotkis Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    IPhone 5S
    I don't think he can just cancel the "Datapaketti" at any time. But he can change the "Datapaketti" to some other type of 3G-packet, e.g. "Ykkönen 3G", that has no monthly charge. So the end result is the same, anyway.

But better make sure from Saunalahti first. User "plehti" here is a representative of Saunalahti, so he can tell you more.

10. Bojan-Krkic

Tykkäykset:
    I called Saunalahti and they told me that you have to stay with Datapaketti 24 months without changing to other package.

I also asked about what papers do I need to get a subscription but they told me that on Forum shopping center there is a Saunalahti point info where they can inform me about that.

So maybe I will go there and ask about it but I'll have to choose another 3G packet so if you can recommend one... I just want a package to talk (I will mostly call to Spain and also local calls), SMS (not MMS) and the Internet.

Another good option for me it's get a slow option (300-500kbps) and if my Internet connection fails I would upgrade just in that moment to the fastest connecton, that would be perfect.

Regarding the HDSPA modem: At the Saunalahti call center told me that they do not sell modems nor phones by themself anymore. So do you know if I can buy this modem unlocked anywhere else? I think Elisa sell it without subscription for 210€, I know it's locked but Saunalahti is an Elisa company so I don't know if it would work (althouth I don't think so).

Thank you so much once again

11. Kotkis Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    IPhone 5S
    All the 3G packages that you get from Saunalahti are for 24 months. If you're not staying for that long, why take a 3G-package at all? Just take a normal subscription + a data package of your choice. E.g. Saunalahti Ykkönen (monthly charge 66 cents, national calls & sms 6,9 cents) + Mobiililaajakaista 384 (= Data package, monthly charge 9,80 eur, unlimited data transfer).

If Elisa sells it without subscription, I don't think it can be locked..?

12. irritus

irritus Tunnettu jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    Nokia 6630, 700, N-Gage, Siemens M35
    If you want to make a lot of international calls, then bundled 3G handsets and talk packages are not for you. The packaged monthly minutes cannot be used for international (nor premium rate) calls, and typically the extra minutes are more expensive in talk packets than in no-packet connection types. (For example, 0.099 euros/minute for talk packets while 0.069 euros/minute non-packets.)

I think you should forget packets and 12/24 month bundles and a buy an unlocked phone (GSM or 3G, whichever suits your usage best).

The cheapest way to call Spain from Finland with a mobile phone is probably Saunalahti Lanka mobile phone connection. This is because the local network fee, paikallisverkkomaksu (PVM), which you pay to your "first mile" operator to take the call from you to the international carrier, is way cheaper than with most other mobile phone connections (0.10 euros/call + 0.01 euros/minute).

One of the cheapest international services, if you don't mind using "call through" and "call diversion" type of service, is Hotcom.

Of course, you can check the rates of ordinary international carriers, too, which are used by dialling 99X/99XX/99XXX prefix before the country code. (Some carriers are using 90XXX + full number, like 90XXX0034..., but not the cheap ones.) For example: Saunalahti, Cubio, Globetel, Scandicom.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean by upgrading your connection to a faster one when it is not working?

If you use internet over 3G and you go out of the UMTS network coverage, you will then have to go along with the pretty slow GPRS or EDGE speeds. When the worst one, GPRS, happens, it doesn't matter if you have 384 kbit/s or 1 Mbit/s service from your mobile phone operator. All you will get from a GPRS site is a lousy 53 kbit/s high latency (600 to 1800 ms pings) service.

The 3G is still spotty when it comes to indoor coverage in Helsinki and Vantaa area. If you have any plans to go into the countryside, forget 3G completely. 2100 MHz technology is useless outside the cities, as the coverage of a single 3G mast stops almost at the first tree in sight. And there are quite many trees in the Finnish countryside...

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a separate 3G device for your computer, you might consider buying an unlocked 3G phone and use it both for voice and internet. This will work in the 3G coverage area. But when you go out of the 3G coverage area, it will suck a big time. You cannot use internet at the same when you are talking on the phone within the GSM network.

However, if you think you can live with using 3G phone as your internet connection, then one possible connection and additional service on top of it could be Saunalahti Lanka & Mobiililaajakaista. (Mobiililaajakaista 384 if you have an ordinary 3G phone, maybe a faster one like Mobiililaajakaista 512 if you have HSDPA phone such as Nokia N95.)

The best thing about those is that they have the ordinary 14 days contract termination time. Thus, if you later on find a nice unlocked 3G terminal for your computer, you can drop the Mobiililaajakaista from your phone connection and get a separate SIM (for example Saunalahti Ykkönen, Kolumbus K1, dna Onni) just for the internet.

If you have to stay often in dead 3G spots and don't want to settle down for GPRS speeds, remember that there is another wireless internet service around, too. It's using FlashOFDM technology and the service is branded @450 in Finland. However, the service and equipment are not the cheapest around. And I have no idea if FlashOFDM 450 MHz equipment has any use in Spain.

13. Kotkis Aktiivinen jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    IPhone 5S
    I think he probably ment to have the 3G data connection as a backup (with 384kbps speed) for ADSL (or another type of fixed internet connection). Should the ADSL fail, he could then upgrade the speed of the mobile data package.

14. Bojan-Krkic

Tykkäykset:
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant

15. Bojan-Krkic

Tykkäykset:
    I'm not considering get a a 12/24 months subscription. I already have a GSM phone (Qtek S200, it's a Pocket PC Phone that I'm not sure if it's available here in Finland), I just want a modem like the vodafone one because I think there are no many good options of 3G Pocket PC Phones.

Saunalahti Lanka is a normal subscription or what exactly is it? So I should have to pay those prices + the price fixed by the international carrier, is that correct? Can I get Mobiililaajakaista with Saunalahti Lanka?

Anyhow hotcom seems to be the best option. How is called this type of service? "call through" and "call diversion" as you said?

By the way, I was wondering if it's possible to install on a Pocket PC Phone (Windows Mobile) Skype or some other IP Voice soft that let me call to international phones chepear and take advantage this way from a 3G connection but for example SkypeOut is expensive than HotCom and HotCom seems to be also easier to use so I think that I will use HotCom.

If I finally use HotCom I will not need a specific subscription with Saunhalhti based on international calls so in this case which is the best option for local calls?

Kiitos

16. irritus

irritus Tunnettu jäsen

Tykkäykset:
    Puhelinmalli:
    Nokia 6630, 700, N-Gage, Siemens M35
    Have you checked what UMTS modems and accessories for example Verkkokauppa.com offers?

Oheislaitteet / Modeemit / EDGE+GPRS+UMTS

Option GlobeSurfer Icon HSDPA/UMTS USB and Option GlobeTrotter GT-MAX 7.2 PCMCIA seem to be in stock at the moment (it says now, heti). Other have ordering times like working days (työpäivää) or weeks (viikkoa, shortened as vkoa).

Yes, it is a mobile phone subscription (gsm&umts) with a deceptive name ("lanka" means wire). Despite the name "wire", it is just plain ordinary mobile phone connection which just has a special low price for calling Finnish fixed net (and that local network fee on top of international call charges).

Yes. For example, if you call a Spanish mobile phone using 991 prefix from Saunalahti Lanka, you pay 0.10 euros/call + 0.01 euros/minute + 0.388 euros/minute. In total 0.10 euros/call + 0.398 euros/minute.

With Hotcom that would be 0.10 euros/call + 0.01 euros/minute + 0.189 euros/minute, which makes a total of 0.10 euros/call + 0.199 euros/minute.

Please keep in mind that due to Hotcom being "call through" type of service, you have to pay 0.10 euros/call + 0.01 euros/minute even if recipient of the call does not answer. And that one does not start counting from the actual beginning of the call, but the moment you are greeted by Hotcom's voice prompt.

If you take a more typical mobile phone connection, like Saunalahti Ykkönen, Kolumbus K1 or dna Onni, you will pay 0.069 euros/minute + 0.388 euros/minute = 0.457 euros/minute using 991. And 0.069 euros/minute + 0.189 euros/minute = 0.258 euros/minute if you use Hotcom.

Yes. Mobiililaajakaista is an additional service which can be ordered to almost any Saunalahti mobile phone connection. Only Saunalahti Prepaid is left out.

First of all, you have to register with Hotcom. Their service is prepaid, so you have to transfer some money to them, too. For that you will need online banking service from Nordea, Osuuspankki, Sampo, Säästöpankki or Paikallisosuuspankki.

After you have registered your phone number with Hotcom, you dial 013 77 0130 from your phone. Make sure that the caller id is presented. If you are recognized, you will be prompted with a voice prompt telling your account balance and to proceed with dialling. Then you key in the international number you wish to call using tone dialling, like 34....... (do not include any prefix like 00 or +) and #.

I am sorry about the "call diversion" type of service. It seems that Hotcom does not offer it (at least not at the moment). I may have mixed them up with some Italian cheap international carriers.

Well, on a nice day it might work. But it is a good idea not to depend on it.

The problem with 3G is long latency. Ping times you get are typically 300 ms. (For comparison, cable modems and ADSL have ping times of about 10 ms to the nearest router.) But newer equipment is better. If you get a HSDPA phone, your ping times will drop to some 100 to 200 ms. Thus, HSDPA equipment is faster even when you subscribe to the "traditional" 384 kbit/s 3G speed.

That's right. You can use Hotcom from any Finnish phone connection that has caller id sending enabled - but is has to be your phone as they use the caller id as account number.

Saunalahti Lanka is the best option, if you need to make a lot of calls to the Finnish fixed net phones (0.10 euros/call + 0.01 euros/minute) and international calls. Calls to Finnish mobile phones cost 0.099 euros/minute. Montly charge is 2.95 euros/month.

If you make instead a lot of calls to Finnish mobiles, then Saunalahti Ykkönen, Kolumbus K1 or dna Onni are probably ok. Calls to both the Finnish fixed net and mobiles is 0.069 euros/minute (per second based) and monthly fee 0.66 euros.

For just phonecalls even Kolumbus Prepaid is quite ok. Finnish fixed net and most mobiles 0.069 euros/minute. Calling Aina, dna, Wireless Maingate, Fujitsu and Himmee mobiles is more expensive, 0.129 euros/minute. Kolumbus prepaid does not have any monthly fee and does not require any credit checks. But - you must get another connection for heavy internet use as that costs 0.69 euros/megabyte. There are no other data options available for prepaid customers.

If you know beforehand that you will be calling about 500 or 1000 minutes per month, and will be using Hotcom for international calls, you might consider the talk packets, too.

Kolumbus P1
    Kolumbus P2
    Saunalahti TuplaPaketti
    Saunalahti SuperPaketti
    Saunalahti Paketti Plus
    dna Ilona
    dna Urho

17. espenleka

Tykkäykset:
    WTF?? :D

Let's compare first little bit:

Cubio, fixed line, 99551, 0.080 €/min
    Cubio, fixed line, "Loved Ones" service, 0.060 €/min
    Hotcom.fi, fixed line, 0.018 €/min

Cubio, mobile phones, 99551, 0.300 €/min
    Cubio, mobile phones, "Loved Ones" service, 0.280 €/min
    Hotcom.fi, mobile phones, 0.189 €/min

...and then let's ask again, which one is the cheapest way to call ;)

Jaa tämä viestiketju